Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holly Branches

Winter is finally with us, but at least there was 1 more minute of daylight today, and a little bit more tomorrow. Over the hump, we are!...Yeah, I'm trying to psych myself up to push through to Spring. The thought that there's a little more daylight each day helps me stay optimistic after I've been stuck shoveling snow, slush, and ice for hours after each winter snow storm.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd focus on the beauty of winter. The dark glossy green of the Holly tree with it's vibrant red berries is one of the highlights in this time of predominately gray, brown, and white colored landscape. The berries are a very important source of food for may birds and some small animals, and the tree, with it's sharp leaves, are a protected home for birds during the winter.

This is a 5 x 7 watercolor and colored pencil. This branch had a yellowish cast to the leaves, and a light yellow color on the back of the leaf. And very spiky leaves, which I kept forgetting about when I'd move it around looking for a good composition, my fingers got poked quite a few times. A good defense indeed!

Before I sign off, I wanted to wish everyone a safe and Merry Christmas! Be well.

Best Wishes,
Lisa B.

1 comment:

Claudia Marchand said...

Happy New Year, Lisa! It's going to be a great year for both of us. There is always optimism in your paintings and drawings. I also enjoy reading how you relate to nature before you draw. Keep 'em coming! You are a unique and amazing talent. Love, Claudia