Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! It's my 1 Year Blog Anniversity!


It's official! This blog is now a year old! It's nice to have a place to be able to look back on past work and see progress and changes. I'm also glad to be able to see the blogs of so many artists and creatives out there in the world, and to be able to talk with so many different people. Here's to another year!

This is a finished seagull drawing that I just completed. This guy was making it clear that he wanted attention with his loud, repetitive cry, so I thought I'd let him show off. My apologies for the darkened scan. I need to get a larger scanner bed, or smaller paper. This was the first time I used a blending stump, and I really liked it, much better than using your finger, although that does work well for charcoal, not so well for graphite. Thanks to Sigrid Frensen, for her beautiful blog where she shows her gorgeous botanical artwork and gives great tips!

I believe he's a Herring gull, with his yellow eyes and red spot on the lower part of his beak (or is it bill? Probably beak since they are more into ripping up their food -or swallowing whole--than a nice little duck with their wide, non-sharp bills).

Seagulls are just so graphic, and so expressive, I love trying to capture their spirit. My backyard is filled with smaller birds, sparrows, blue jays, grackles and starlings (both of whom have been aggressively killing the sparrows lately, boo!), pigeons and mourning doves, crows, woodpeckers (both small and big, my neighbors putting out suet brought them to the yard), and one very large redtailed hawk (much to the dismay of two recently deceased pigeons, such powerful attacks that all was left was a ring of feathers, like a bomb blast crater). But it is very hard to capture the smaller birds in action, or perhaps it's because I need a better zoom camera, while the seagulls are so unafraid of humans and you can spend quite a bit of time studying them, or being studied by them, especially if you're holding some food. I've been doing some quick movement studies in pencil of the seagulls, but for some reason, I just love to spend longer on a drawing with them.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, long 4th of July weekend! Or a nice long weekend for those not celebrating. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Claudia Marchand said...

This is really great, Lisa. He does look like the town crier. I think his vocal expressiveness is symbolic of your having found your voice in art and with your new studio space, and renewed confidence. You have something to say and nothing will stop you! The image looks fine. Don't go smaller. You can always find someplace who can scan it for a fee, or find someone who owns a larger scanner and offer to give them a little $ for use. I can't believe it's been a year. Cheers!!! Remember you learn from everything you do.

Rose said...

I love this sketch! if you ever want to sell it, come to me first.

Lisa B. said...

@Claudia,
Thank you, as always for your encouragement, it has meant a lot for our 23(!)year friendship.

@Rose,
Thanks for stopping by, visit anytime! As soon as I get a good photo of this guy, he's all yours if you want him. I'll let you know, I'll try to photograph it outside first, when it stops raining in a couple days. See you soon!

Jeanne said...

Hi Lisa to hear from you. I have missed you. Getting the new computer to work for me was awful but with the help of my daughter and grandson, we did it and now I love it. I am glad you like my shells, I used the full range of pencils from 7 B to 7 H. I had never done that before. It was great fun. I love your drawings Lisa and I have to look at your new studio. Take care, Jeanne

Lisa B. said...

Hi Jeanne,
Nice to hear from you, too. I have been using a lot of graphite myself, but I find myself using just the 2H and 6B,looking at your beautiful shell drawing, I can see that's limiting me. I'm going to put the whole range all out on the desk in front of me and make myself use all of them in the next drawing, just to see what happens!