Friday, January 8, 2010

Standing Ground, Pencil 9 x12 in



I guess I have a new thing for seagulls. I don't think that I thought about them much. Growing up in the Maine woods, crows, chickadees, and blue jays would probably be my first thought when asked to name a bird, but I guess living on the MA coast for over twenty years has expanded my bird world to include gulls and pigeons. The reference photos I took this fall are what I keep going back to. Something about how animated the seagulls are intrigues me, they seem to have a lot more expressions than a lot of the smaller birds do, maybe because they can be so much larger. When I was working on this drawing, I felt I was bringing out a feeling of intimidation from the 3 gulls in the background and the main subject gull was fluffing up, but still standing ground, in response to the others enchroaching in upon it. Not drawing the heads of the 3 in the background seems to lend itself to a slow feeling of impending danger. Those seagulls are mastering in drama, I tell you!

I'm still working on another gull pencil drawing, hope to work more on that this weekend. Hope everyone is keeping up with their New Years Resolutions. Mine are easy, Do more of what I love, Spend more time with the people I love, Enjoy each day. Simple resolutions, but easy to get off track with. Here's to staying on track!

Lisa B.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Lisa, Happy New Year, I am happy to hear from you. Your seagulls are great and they do tell a story. I love watching them too. Lisa, I have a hard time deciding what I will do when I get into the studio. paint on silk or oil paint or acrylic paint. I love doing all three.
My classes started this week and I have three wonderful groups. I love teaching so much. I guess when it comes to art I love doing it all. Love, Jeanne

Claudia Marchand said...

Hi Lisa,

Your drawing abilities are amazing. You are just getting started this year, my dear! I hope you grow immeasurably as an artist this year, and meet lots of influential and inspiring people. Life's an adventure. I have a new tablet to use instead of a mouse and mousepad and I have software that will allow me to sketch right into my computer on a virtual sketchpad! Perty kool. Something to play with. I have my own new year resolutions, and I have to get to writing on my blog regularly. I have many goals for my artwork this year and I feel very unencumbered by fear as I was last year. I hope you see the vastness of your progress in just the past 6 months. Keep going! Love, Claudia

Jeanne said...

Hi, I miss you very much. Hope all is well. Love, Jeanne

Kathy Weller said...

Wow, this is a really beautiful drawing. You are really good!!