Friday, September 11, 2009

Taking Turns. Watercolor, 5 x 7 in



I'm still working with watercolors. Liking the way things flow and mix together, as well as the spaces that are left to shine through untouched by paint. I took several pictures of the daily feeding frenzy at the birdfeeder. Some of the birds chose to wait in line patiently, some were more brazen and pushed their way through to get at an opening. I think using the watercolor medium helped capture the fluidity of the birds constant movement in a way that I couldn't capture with the painting style I use with acrylics.

2 comments:

Claudia Marchand said...

This is such a lovely study of nature. Watercolor is a fantastic medium for you. I love how you left the paper peeking through. I also love how the grays and browns balance the greens and yellows in a very harmonious play of realism and abstraction following the light. I love the birds—beautiful!

Jeanne said...

Lisa your painting is wonderful. I love the way you handle the paint and the light around the birds. The painting has a very easy not forced look. Keep it up. I can't wait to see the next one. I am painting on scarves but am missing painting on my small boards. I am debating getting up an hour earlier every morning so I can continue painting the small works.