Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dancing Leaves, 9 x 12 in acrylic



This weekend was wonderful, great sunlight, perfect summer temperature. I went up to Rockport, MA yesterday and walked around Bearskin Neck. You know, where the famous red building "Motif #1" is. There were a lot of wonderful artists and galleries there. A few less than there were last year, unfortunately, due to the recession. One of my favorites that is still there is Susanne White's "The White Seagull Gallery". She has a great sense of color, shape, and natural coastal beauty.

I actually painted this painting in a day and a half. Pretty quick for me. This was the first time I started with a black background, I think it helped me achieve a faster sense of tonal quality that usually takes me quite a while to achieve. I think I'll try working that way for a while. I painted this because I love walking through the woods. The light filtering through the dense foliage and falling on the soft forest floor is something I've always wanted to paint, but never got around to it. I think I'll start a series on this theme.

4 comments:

Claudia Marchand said...

I love this one! You painted it so well. It shows your sensitivity for light, which painting up from black appears to have encouraged. I think it's a great idea to start a series like that and really investigate feeling that sensitivity. It's like going back to childhood and painting what you saw as a child with adult knowledge & skill. Cezanne would be good to look at; his paintings of Mont Sainte-Victoire. (I went to his studio and took a photo of it. There are power lines crossing in front of the view now. Cezanne would be miffed.) I have a book you can look at next week.

Jeanne said...

Lisa, I love your leaves and am amazed you started with black. I will try that sometime soon. right now i need to finish a 7"x5" of a yellow pepper. I am liking it so far. It has been so busy here, doing scarves and trying to paint. Have a great weekend. I think we are due for some very nice weather. I envy you going to Rockport and I loved that you showed pictures of an artist from the gallery. Jeanne

Jeanne said...

Lisa thank you for your comment on my yellow pepper. I do love color and wanted this painting to be warm. I made a Gespacho for lunch and used lots of tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers. Jeanne

Jeanne said...

Lisa, how do you do that?? I am surely very slow in learning new ways with the blog. I would love to put your painting on my blog. Please tell me. Jeanne