Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Steps


Here goes! I'm starting this blog as a daily exercise in reminding myself to be more creative. I've been missing the creative element in my life, spending most of my time working in a field other than the creative one. I have a lot of other interests, and those might show up from time to time, but I'll focus more on art and any crafts that I might be working on.

This is the first painting I've done in quite a while. I've usually only had time to draw, but I'm determined to make time to paint. This was from a picture that I took last summer, it's not finished yet. I still have to play up the sense of light. I spend so much time on the little details that I'm sometimes oblivious to the light play until I step back an really look. I'll work on this more after I've been away from it for a while. A good start, I believe.

Lisa B.

2 comments:

Claudia Marchand said...

Wow! This is a beautiful start! I understand what you are saying about adding more light, but the drama is definitely there. Subtle is good, too. I think you will learn quickly how and when to pay attention to the details and when a more "essential" gestural stroke could work instead. My mother bought me a child's activity packet to "cut paper like Matisse" -- it was a wonderful gift. There is a quote from him I like: "There is no greatness in making eyes, a nose or mouth. Accuracy is not truth." It could be an artist's commandment.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks, Claudia! I'm going to have to remind myself of that quote often, especially when I get too focused in one area and the rest of the painting loses it's vibrancy. Thanks for the critique!

Lisa B.